Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from the BNP Paribas Open and the Miami Open presented by Itau, the lefty confirmed on social media Tuesday.
“It’s been a while since I don’t communicate with you. Took my time off, started rehab, gym and physiotherapy as instructed by the doctors. Getting ready to come back the in the best conditions,” Nadal tweeted. “I am sad that I won’t be able to compete at Indian Wells nor Miami. Very sad not to be there. I’ll miss all my US fans but I hope to see them later this year during the summer swing.”
I am sad that I won’t be able to compete at Indian Wells nor Miami.
Very sad not to be there. I’ll miss all my US fans but I hope to see them later this year during the summer swing. pic.twitter.com/v6dsf1ayTI
— Rafa Nadal (@RafaelNadal) February 28, 2023
The Spaniard began his season at the United Cup before losing in the second round of the Australian Open to American Mackenzie McDonald. After his Melbourne exit, the 36-year-old underwent tests and reported the results to fans.
“Good afternoon. I have undergone medical tests after losing yesterday,” Nadal wrote in January. “The MRI shows a grade 2 injury in the iliopsoas muscle in my left leg. Now it’s time for sports rest and anti-inflammatory physiotherapy. Normal recovery time 6 to 8 weeks.”
Three-time BNP Paribas Open Champion Rafa Nadal has withdrawn from the 2023 tournament due to injury.
“We wish Rafa continued healing, and hope to see him back at the BNP Paribas Open next year,” said Tournament Director Tommy Haas. pic.twitter.com/6TdzOT6qY9
— BNP Paribas Open (@BNPPARIBASOPEN) February 28, 2023
Nadal last year reached the final at Indian Wells, the first ATP Masters 1000 event of the season. BNP Paribas Open Tournament Director Tommy Haas wished the lefty well.
“We wish Rafa continued healing, and hope to see him back at the BNP Paribas Open next year,” Haas said.
The Miami ATP Masters 1000 event replied to Nadal’s tweet by writing: “Get well soon, Rafa 💪💪 We’ll miss you here in Miami ❤️❤️”